Kiln maintenance

The first firing of 2013 is in the book.  It was overall good firing, though I am noticing a small piece fused on the edge of the pot recently.  I vacuumed the kiln before the firing, and had lost couple pieces this way.  I checked the inside the kiln, and found the firebrick near the target brick looked chunky.

 

I decided to repair. Bricks are not mortared, but was not easy to pull out.  I wound up using the drill and chisel to chip away.  Many bricks are split into two sideways, so the front face came off, but the rest of the brick were still there.  As if the interior of the brick were burned, and the outer side of the brick looked new.   I finished putting in new bricks today.  I will fill the gap with fiberglass and mortar some loose pieces tomorrow.

Published
Categorized as kiln

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: